Pages

Monday, February 05, 2007

7 x 7 / 02-05-07



I wanted to play with something a bit different, so quickly drew a grid of 49 empty squarish shapes and, in little fits and starts, filled them.



As I sat and sketched, a man took notice and asked what I was doing. We chatted -- he was a project manager for a construction company, and was in town while his company built a luxury mall. Seeing me draw, he said, made him recall a drawing of a Jaguar he drew in high school -- a sketch his mother had saved, and brought him just recently.

He talked at length about his musically talented niece, and I recommended some Austin-ish coffee shops. It was a pleasant interlude, especially since that grackle wouldn't hold still.

7 comments:

raindog said...

reminds me of my first day of advertising design class. pick 20 companies and quickly sketch 10 new ideas for each. anyway, love it.

Catnapping said...

I love this. It makes me think of a memory quilt.

Ernesto said...

Cool! The grid is fantastic. I loved it.

polona said...

i just love the grid!

Bill Z said...

the grid is a great idea - I love the dog or cat ear towards the bottom

Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

The grid was enormous fun. You remember something similar done by Gorey? I think it's Edward Gorey, he did a lot with ink. Dark, gruesome...I liked his stuff.

I liked this, too. The grid..I'd like to see you do another one. I wonder what the effect would be if someone did a grid with charcoal, staying away from any lines at all.

Anonymous said...

Great sketches. I love the grid!