Pages

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Illustration Friday: Tattoo



"... And this tattooing had been the work of a departed prophet and seer of his island ... Queequeg in his own proper person was a riddle to unfold; a wondrous work in one volume; but whose mysteries not even himself could read, though his own live heart beat against them ..."
Herman Melville, Moby Dick

The rest of the story:
Looking for something that would bring the spirit of Queequeq to life regardless of my current hand skills, I found an antique shop (really more a hodgepodge shop) in a small town outside Austin chock-a-block with ancient dressers, each drawer full of something unexpected.

I found wonderful, expressive ink drawings lying loose in the back of one stuck drawer, and grabbed a few along with some props.

As I went to pay for the treasures, the elderly woman behind the counter told me her husband had done the ink drawings -- he was an anthropologist and a geologist -- and he stopped drawing when they married, much to her dismay. He passed away in 1986. She shared that she was a painter, and when I told her what I intended to do with his art, she was very excited his work would have new life through the Internet.

I was so engaged in our chat I neglected to get their names.

But I will, so I can credit him for the ink-flow at the heart of this image.
And I will also make sure his originals enjoy a good, appreciative home.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice story to go along with this intriguing collage!

Unknown said...

Love the idea, GREAT interpretation of the theme!! very unique and creative piece!! Very nicely done!

Lori Witzel said...

Thanks for the luv on both of my IlloFriday schtuff, Alina!

Here's one other story that struck me for this topic -- Ray Bradbury's The Illustrated Man.

Hope someone sees this and goes for it, it's a GREAT story.

HARDWAX said...

Nice story, never know where you might find a little treasure, cool illo.

TheTart said...

Great story... this is the kinda stuff I live for too. People are so interesting... I am sure she was delighted about your use of his art!

BTW... double-dog-dare... ha! You are a hoot... I live for your comments, the make me LOL. So here is the 411, I am incorporating my BDates into IL tattoos... finished story, now drawing matching illos.

DDD U too... go run through a sprinkler, the next time you see one. I dare U. : )

Smooch,
The Tart

Dana S. Whitney said...

I'm gonna have to start with the collage/mixed media stuff. Bravo!

Lori Witzel said...

Thanks for the comments, y'all!

Will head out shortly to look for sprinklers, and am glad that Sultry PainterWoman may go off in search of collage!

The Unknown said...

Super cool.
love

WCTs said...

You have been so busy! Artful in the toasty south. Good stuff. I finally got mine out there. Would love to hear your comments. As would the Whippy Curly Tails. Hope your gang is well. <: -)